The demand for glossy and matte finish cabinets has increased over the past six years. Due to their aesthetics, color, and durability, homeowners desire to have either in their kitchen.
According to research, the global kitchen cabinet market will increase at a CAGR of 6% from 2016-2026. Monetary value shows that there will be a USD 160 billion increase by 2025.
There have also been controversial discussions about the best between glossy and matte finish cabinets. However, no plain result shows which is the best.
As a result, choosing between glossy or matte cabinets for your kitchen revamp can be a bit tasking.
This article seeks to give you clarity and aid you in making a perfect choice when you are giving your kitchen a new look.
Follow along to know your perfect kitchen cabinet!
Quick Overview – Tabular Comparison
|Style and Design||Modern or contemporary style||Traditional or country style|
|Durability||Low durability||High durability|
|Cleaning and Maintenance||Easy to clean and maintain||Difficult to clean and maintain|
|Light Reflection||Reflects light||Absorbs light|
|Hiding Imperfections||It does not hide imperfections||It hides imperfections|
|Variety of Colors||It comes in a variety of colors||It comes in a variety of colors and can be painted to the color of your choice|
Gloss Kitchen Cabinets – Explained
Gloss kitchen cabinets are made from a special type of plastic that looks like marble or granite.
This type of kitchen cabinet reflects light, and this is due to the shining surface. The reflection of light makes a small room look bigger. High gloss finish cabinets will be perfect for a small kitchen space.
Glossy kitchen cabinets are known for their beauty and fit well in a modern or contemporary design style with flat cabinet fronts.
Consequently, if not handled well, scratches and cracks may erupt early. Above all, high gloss finish cabinets are typically more expensive than standard cabinets.
- Gloss kitchen cabinets are shiny and beautiful
- They are also easy to clean (no scrubbing required) and look great in any space.
- Gloss cabinets are made from high-quality materials
- The light reflection on high gloss finish cabinets helps enlarge a small-spaced kitchen
- These cabinets give a trendy look, and they do not go out of style
- Gloss cabinets may cause glare when you are cooking or cleaning in them if your lights are not shielded properly from direct sunlight (for example, by using an overhead mirror)
- Depending on what kind of finish you choose for your new cabinet doors, they can be expensive.
- The high gloss does not hold up well over time, so they need constant maintenance if you want them to last long.
- These cabinets are not as strong as other types of cabinets and may chip or crack if you drop something heavy on top of them (which can happen with all cabinets)
- Its surface cannot resist pressure. This means that heavy kitchen activities cannot be carried out on them.
- Shiny surface exposes fingerprints, oil, and stains
Matte Kitchen Cabinets – Explained
Matte cabinets or matte finish are typically made of MDF or chipboard, which makes them lighter in weight than plain traditional wood cabinets.
It is great if you want to update your kitchen without spending a fortune.
These types of matte finishes can also be painted in any color of your choice, such as grey, white, blue, black, and brown.
As a result, it gives them a unique look that will complement your design style. The matte finish goes perfectly in a country or traditional design style.
- Cheaper than other types of cabinet doors
- It can be used for any kitchen storage or display space
- Will not show fingerprints or smudges from hands when touched
- Matte cabinets fit in any design style if the paint colors are appropriately used
- Matte finish can endure pressure. All types of kitchen activities can be carried out on its surface
- It does not scuff or scratch easily
- It may not look as high-end as other types of finishes on wood or metal cabinets.
- Some people find that the material does not match their existing décor
- When stains such as grease or oil touch it, it is difficult to remove
- It does not have that sleek, shiny, or trendy look. This makes matte finishes sometimes unappealing to the eyes
7 Key Differences Between Gloss and Matte Kitchen Cabinets
Style and Design
Gloss and matte cabinets are attractive and timeless. The gloss cabinets fit perfectly in a modern or contemporary design style. At the same time, the matte finish goes well with traditional or country-style kitchen cabinets.
Gloss is more reflective, reflecting light and making the room appear larger. Matte is less reflective, absorbing light and making the room feel smaller.
Gloss, shiny surfaces are smooth surfaces that make them more attractive than matte cabinets. Matte cabinets do not allow for the reflection of light. You might have to reconsider using it if you have a small kitchen space.
However, when matte cabinets are made of exceptional quality, or material, crafted well, and painted with the right colors, they are attractive.
Verdict: Matte cabinets give a subtle look to your kitchen. However, the shiny and attractive glossy cabinets will give your kitchen the spark!
Matte paints offer superior protection against scratches and stains. They are less likely to get damaged over time than glossy paints would be. Your cabinets will continue to look good even after years of use.
Gloss cabinets are durable because they don’t fade as quickly as other materials, such as wood or metal.
Matte finish is easy to work on. Because of their sturdy nature, they can bear pressure or hold heavy kitchen activities. Gloss kitchen cabinets need special attention while working on them. The glass material cannot bear pressure or hold weighty kitchen activities.
Verdict: The matte finish will stay longer than the gloss kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Glossy cabinets require maintenance more often than matte ones. This means that glossy kitchen cabinets are easy to clean and maintain compared to matte cabinets, which are difficult to clean.
Gloss cabinets have a higher chance of getting scratched over time if not properly taken care of by regular cleaning routines (which can be tricky with how shiny they are).
Matte cabinets are more likely to be stained than glossy ones. But if glossy cabinets are stained, they can be cleaned much easier than matte ones can be cleaned because stains don’t mar the surface of the wood like scratches do.
Verdict: The gloss cabinets are the best to ease your maintenance process. Although, you will have to watch out for scratches and cracks.
The price of glossy cabinets varies depending on the material used for making them. Depending on what kind of look you want for your kitchen area, many different types are available for purchase.
Although, gloss cabinets are known to be more expensive due to the glass material used in making them.
Matte paint is much more affordable than gloss paint, which means you’ll get more for less. It is also possible to apply multiple coats if needed (which helps keep the cost down), and it can be removed easily when you want to change colors.
Verdict: Are you working on a budget? The matte finish is the right fit for your kitchen.
Gloss cabinets reflect light because of their shiny surface. Matte finish does not reflect light; instead, it absorbs light.
The reflection of light by gloss cabinets makes the kitchen space look bigger. Thus, it is advisable to use this cabinet finish in a small kitchen to make it look bigger.
Matte finish absorbs light. It is advisable not to use it in a small kitchen; instead, use it in a bigger-spaced kitchen.
Verdict: Consider the amount of light that comes into your kitchen space. Gloss cabinets will be perfect in a kitchen with little light coming through.
Gloss kitchen cabinets do not hide imperfections such as scratches and cracks. This is because of the glassy and shiny surface.
Matte cabinets hide imperfections that come from oil stains or dirt. The chipboard makes it easy to make the stains almost invisible to the eyes.
Verdict: The matte finish is the best cabinet for hiding imperfections.
Color and Varieties
There are many colors to choose from for gloss cabinets, such as white, black, beige, and more.
The most popular color is white, which looks very clean and elegant. And it reflects light too. Other popular colors include silver, brown, and gold.
Styles such as rounded corners or square corners. And finishes such as satin nickel or stainless steel such as wood, glass, and more.
Matte finish can also be painted in any color of your choice, can be painted in colors such as white, black, gray, and even orange and red options. Thus, it gives them a unique look.
You can select one that works well with your other furniture pieces in the room or match it up with other colors in your décor scheme.
Verdict: Colors comes in various tint and shades for both gloss and matte cabinets. Pick a color that suits your taste and style.
When it comes to choosing between gloss and matte cabinets, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Your taste and preference, as well as your family’s
- Your present or desired interior design style and color palette used or chosen in your home
- The lighting in your kitchen.
When you carefully sit down and think about these parameters, choosing a perfect cabinet for your kitchen will be a workover!